Sunday, January 21, 2007

Titans Win!

Thanks to KS for the pic.

So, tagging along with friends, I went to the premiere of Lacrosse in New York City - the first home game of the New York Titans at MSG (they split home games at the Garden, and at Nassau Colliseum), against the Chicago Shamrox. The Titans are NYC's team in the National Lacrosse League. Thankfully, the home team won, so my plan of drunken reveling didn't stick out as really inappropriate.

And reveling was what they encouraged. They handed out glowsticks and towels for waving as we entered. The music was what I'd expect at a monster truck rally (think Metallica, Green Day, and Rage against the Machine). And the music played the ENTIRE game - as in, even during game play. The Titans have cheerleaders - more than you can say about the Jets or Giants.

When the game started the Shamrox looked to be the hungrier, more aggressive team. Though that didn't sway the Garden faithful (quoth the guy behind me, "Fuck you, fucking Shamcocks!"). But Casey Powell checked hard, had some sweet passes, and became my favorite Titan as the Titans took over the game. The game was a reminder - lacrosse is a violent sport. They were checking each other (lacrosse-speak for beating each other with their sticks) every chance they had (which was all game), and tensions ran high. Fights broke out repeatedly on the field. The crowd got into it (Chanting "T-I-T-A-N-S" until they realized they liked "T-I-T-n'-ass" more). My friends, actual NLL fans, estimated attendance at ~10,000, which they were pleased with.

All in all, I had fun. Lacrosse is violent and fast - if that's your thing, check it out.
NYT article, before the game.

No comments: